Ok, David has been in his new garage with some cream cheese, Robin Williams when he was Mork, and a blowtorch making the latest and greatest thing to be free as hell in not only the iTunes Store AND the Android Store — the new JimOnLight.com App!
Jim it’s too soon for the joke Jim it’s too soon for the joke JIM IT’S TOO SOON FOR THE JOKE
When you fire this bad puppy up from whatever device you have — iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android tablet, whatever — you’ll get the top page story right up front (yeah, yeah, my battery always runs that low, shut up):
The menu here gives you access to anything you really ever need to do in life, including eat or pay your internet bill which I keep forgetting to do:
The Popular Articles tab gives you high traffic stories that you know you need to read:
You know, that bastard David would OF COURSE make me work for the number one spot on that list. What a jackass. I WRITE THE QUESTIONS!
Right in the dark while you’re lying there reading this if you’re an insomniac like me, maybe it’s a Thursday and it’s 2pm or something for you you can jump right to the JimOnLight Flickr Group:
Videos. Of course, videos! What kind of self-serving aptly named website would be worth a damn without some videos?!!1
YOU TOO can submit to JimOnLight. Use the app! If you’re out there in the field and you see the most amazing thing you’ve ever seen or just anything you might be looking at, this is how!
Second to last but least not at all to me, the most awesome Flickr group, Today’s Sun. Fox’s Flickr group is way cooler than mine even though mine tries really hard and never quite could afford to go to college but definitely never stripped its way through Dental School:
Twitter Feed. Because really now, does anyone actually ever actually physically GO to Twitter anymore?!
David, you’re a bad ass. Everybody else, GO GET YOU SOME JIMONLIGHT.COM APP!
Aww man. I had such a crush on Pam Dawber. But I was six or seven, it never would have worked out.
Okay, maybe there IS no lighting heaven… but do you like us on Facebook? The JimOnLight Facebook page has almost a thousand likes, with stories, hilarious photos, and other entertaining stuff every day! What’s not to like? My ugly mug? If it makes you feel any better, I do my damnedest to keep my ugly mug as far away from the site as possible. I’m doing humankind a service!
What do you have to lose? Like JimOnLight on Facebook! Tell your friends! Click the button below!
I had a flight into the southeast last week for a job interview. I can never get my 17″ Macbook open wide enough to do a damned thing with it when I’m sitting in Economy, and I don’t have an iPad anymore because I gifted it to someone. What I DID have was my iPhone, some really rough storms and turbulence, and a whole lot of time on my hands on the four legs of the flights!
Check out some cool photos I took of the flights into and out of the home of the Gators! I hope you enjoy them!
Click on ANY image to start the JimOnLight.com Photo Gallery Lightbox!
(if you’re reading this, you know who you are, I want my iPad back, you do NOT deserve to have it.)
Happy Sunday, everybody!
I hope that today’s installment of photos from the JimOnLight Flickr Group meets your approval as you’re sipping on some coffee surrounded by your loved ones… or pets… or absolutely by yourself if that’s what you’ve been dealt today. I always loved sitting on my 21st story balcony on Sunday mornings in Oklahoma City when I lived there, just staring off in the middle distance at the wonderment that comes from living 252 feet above the street.
Here’s today’s collection of awesome photos by some awesome photographers. Check them out, and give their respective pages some traffic! Have an awesome morning, everyone! AWESOME!
Hi everyone! Oh, how I have missed you.
I’ve been on the hunt for a new job, and I am very proud to say that after almost five months of hell, I have been offered the most perfect job for a great lighting company in south Florida.
Perhaps even better news than that is that I accepted the position, and I start August 15! I’m keeping the company under wraps for now, mostly because I am continuing my lifelong research and writing obsession with light and the lighting industries through JimOnLight, and I want to maintain my integrity as a researcher and writer. But let me just say this — a position has been created for me that I am honored to accept, and I am excited to get back to work — this time for a company and a boss who will treat me like a human being. How exciting is THAT?!
My experiences over the last almost five months have been intense to the point of Albert Camus’ worst nightmares – doors that I thought would be wide open I found locked tighter than Fort Knox, while other doors that I assumed would be deadbolted swung wide open and welcomed my big bald head with open arms. If there is anything I have learned from this experience since March is that you never really know who your real friends are, even those you’ve supported at every turn, until you need a friend in return. It’s literally made me change my entire philosophy of life and work. On one hand I’m pretty thrilled to change philosophy, but on the other hand I’m pretty bummed to see that the majority of the people for whom I’ve done lots of work were just as quick to turn their backs as someone I never met before. Ce la vie.
One thing is definite for all of you out there still in the situation I just got lucky enough to slide out of — you have to hold onto hope, you have to hold tight, and you have to beat the pavement in order to make something happen. Finding a job in this economy is no small feat, and it’s no small victory once you’ve found a way out of the mire. Let me be the first to tell you that sometimes the shit can get dark. It is hard to exist when you have no money. It’s hard to get by when all of the laws are written to help those who can help themselves but live on the system, I know this for a fact.
I’ve had lots of time to think about what to say to help those lighting industry folks who are down and out, and are losing hope:
- Get used to the fact that your life needs to be different (read that as cheaper) until you get steady money coming in again. Life’s not over, it’s just stalled out a bit.
- HANG IN THERE. This crap will change if you keep doing what you’re doing, which hopefully is making the calls to everyone and anyone you know, letting them know that you’re looking for something.
- JOB SEARCH RESOURCES — Check it out, nothing hurts when you’re without a job!
- Tune up that resume — put a call on Facebook to some of us out there, any number of us would be more than happy to help a fellow industry member by taking two minutes to look over your resume.
- Do you have a savings account? GET ONE. Are you sticking a decent portion of your take-home after bills in that savings account? If you answered anything other than “you bet your bottom dollar I am,” START SAVING. Save ANYTHING YOU CAN. it will help down the line.
- Expect some percentage of rejection and disappointment. Sorry folks, but it’s true. When you send out resumes and portfolios en masse, you’re going to experience a good portion of “no, sorry” responses. It happens. It just means that its time to get out there and keep pushing.
- If you have family, see what they can do for you. You might need to suck it up and move home for a bit (hey, I did it, I can never thank my Dad enough for what he’s done for my wife and I, he literally saved us) until you can get back on your feet.
- If you have friends, see if they can help you out. Suck it up if you’re destitute, your pride isn’t doing anything but screwing you up.
- If you have “habits,” like drinking or smoking, guess what? YOU CAN’T AFFORD IT RIGHT NOW. You also can’t afford to be eating out all the time, either — it’s time to get used to bologna and ramen for a bit. The stuff isn’t all that bad, believe me. It’s way better than fucking starving.
- If you have a wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, whatever — MAKE TIME TO SPEND WITH THEM. QUALITY time. Spend time with them where you’re not looking at your phone searching for jobs, and get used to dumping the shit out of your brain so that you can also be a good partner. I cannot stress this to you enough — being unemployed and broke is EXPONENTIALLY WORSE when you have to fight all the time with your loved one. Also, it costs nothing to walk around the park holding hands and talking about things.
- I said this before, but HANG IN THERE! This WILL get better. It might take a month, two months, or twelve months. It does happen. It just might be a while. It was for me, anyway.
If you need a pick-me-up, drop me a line. I’d be glad to do what I can for you. I have great jokes. Sometimes all it takes is a smile on your face to greatly improve your day when you’re out of work.
It’s always great to see what people like reading on JimOnLight — it’s because of you that JOL can keep writing for YOU!
Check out the top 20 posts for June 2013 on JimOnLight.com!
June 2013’s TOP post:
- WYBRON Closes It’s Doors After 35 Years of Business
- Lighting 101: Luminance vs. Illuminance
- Radiohead Stage Collapse – Charges Laid On Live Nation, Optex Staging, and Domenic Cugliari
- Crazy Friday Science: New “Dua’s Layer” Discovered in Human Eyes, Ophthalmology Changed Forever
- The JimOnLight Archive!
- Stage Doesn’t Collapse – But It Could Have
- Stage Collapse in Phuket, Thailand – One Dead, One Injured
- What Seems Like Ancient History: The Justin Timberlake/Christina Aguilera Truss Collapse
- DIY Globe Cluster Chandelier-esque Fixtures
- How Well Do YOU Know Light? Take Our Quiz, Come Find OUT! COME ON!
- Need A Laugh? Here’s A Han Solo Aroused in Carbonite Light Switch Plate
- The JimOnLight Recommended reading Store!
- From the WTF Files – Ladies and Gentlemen, A DMX-Controlled Fire Machine
- The McNamara Tunnel, Detroit Airport
- Industry Resources on JimOnLight!
- Fox Sports’ Overhead Camera Accident at NASCAR’s Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway
- The Phenomenon of Earthquake Lights
- Looking for A Job in Light? Me Too! Here’s Some Lighting Industry Resources to Help!
- High Speed Photography of Light Bulbs As They Explode, Filled with AWESOMESAUCE by Jon Smith
- A Grim Reminder of the Latest Deaths in Our Beloved Industry Before Summer Work Kicks Off
If I could hug you all, I would hug you all. In the mean time, I will continue to try and hug you all. Thank you, Earth, for reading JimOnLight every day.
I had a chance to drive through some of the great wind fields of Illinois over the last month — Laura and I have ostensibly been vagabonding here in the US since there’s no work.
I put together a quick video on Illinois wind power — check it out, wouldja? Share it with your friends! Illinois, a state that sent 4 of its last 7 sitting governors to prison for corruption, is the fourth largest wind producer in the United States! I guess you go, Illinois still works?
Illinois gives good wind!
…and on Vimeo, in case you like it there better (I have to admit I love their interface…)
It was hot as hell this week here in Ohio. You know those mornings when you wake up feeling like you just worked a whole night loading in a show because it was so hot and humid the night before?
Yeah. I was on a summer tour where our bus driver kept forgetting to reset the air conditioner after plugging into shore power. It was July. Those mornings SUCKED!
In my quest to get all of this old video processed, here’s a few minutes of a snowstorm from Denver that I must have grabbed back in 2009… enjoy its cold frostiness!