The extremists are at it again, this time they have targeted a crowd full of tween and teenage kids at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England.
First things first, the crew and band are safe and no one from the production team, in my initial researching, has been hurt. Sorry folks, this is an industry blog. Industry family is first to me.
This is terribly f**ked. Authorities are calling this obviously a terror attack — reports are that a “shrapnel-style” improvised explosive device or devices were detonated just after the end of the show, some reports say “just after the last song,” the lights were on. The bomber, who authorities believe was a lone bomber, set off his bullshit right in the middle of people leaving in droves in the foyer of the venue. What a righteous, big-man move, blowing up a frigging bomb while innocent people were leaving a concert. Witnesses reported seeing loose nuts and bolts strewn everywhere after the explosion; proof that this was some kind of casualty-centric fragmenting explosion meant to maim and kill. The bomber is dead; this was the biggest attack in the city’s history.
Allow me to reiterate: these cowards attacked an arena full of young kids, teenagers, and parents.
Moment of the explosion — listen about five seconds in, you can hear the thud:
What we know as of 12:44am CDT, Tuesday, 23 May 2017, from the BBC:
- The arena said the explosion happened outside the venue, as people began streaming from the doors
- Greater Manchester Police were called to the scene at 22:35 BST on Monday and surrounding roads were closed
- The cause is unknown but Prime Minister Theresa May said police were treating it as “an appalling terrorist attack”
- GMP chief constable Ian Hopkins said the force would treat it as terror “until we have further information”
- If confirmed to be a terrorist attack it would be the worst in the UK since 56 people were killed in the London bombings of July 2005
- Unconfirmed reports from two unnamed US officials suggested the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber
- Eyewitnesses reported nuts and bolts strewn around the floor and the smell of explosives
- All national campaigning in the general election has been suspended
- Mrs May will chair a meeting of the government’s emergency Cobra committee at 09:00
- The nearby Victoria railway station was evacuated and all Tuesday trains have been cancelled
The mess leaving the show floor, from Twitter user @Hannawwh:
EXPLOSION AT MANCHESTER ARENA AND EVERYONE RAN OUT SO SCARY😭 pic.twitter.com/pJbUBoELtE
— ♡♡ (@hannawwh) May 22, 2017
Reporting from Al Jazeera English:
Who else in Production/Design is pissed off? These cowards.
PA announcer telling everyone “nothing is wrong, no need to rush…”
More as it develops. Stay tuned.