Well, as you all probably know by now, the Republican Party has taken control of the United States House of Representatives. Headlines across America are displaying titles like "GRIDLOCK IN AMERICA" and "THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN" and all kinds of other stuff like that. Here's the situation America finds herself in as of today:
Republican leaders like John Boehner are making statements like "This is not a time for compromise, and I can tell you that we will not compromise on our principles." Republican Representative Mike Pence of Indiana, the #3 House Republican, is making statements like "Look – the time to go along and get along is over."
Yeah. Great effing attitude, especially when one in ten of our fellow men and women are out of work.
Democrats are not off the hook here, either – I am an equal opportunity caller of the bull, and Democrats are doing their fair share of stupid crap. There is a reason that Harry Reid of Nevada SQUEAKED by Tea Party favorite Sharon Angle. I mean, come on, America – did you see NONE of Angle's back-and-forth gaffs in this ridiculance we called a midterm race?! Why was this even an issue? Democrats are doing nothing that can be considered groundbreaking either. No one is doing anything. This is why we are in this situation.
I have a message for the Congress, and specifically the new Republican majority in the House of Representatives. I want you to listen closely, because the people who read JimOnLight.com are a strong majority of people who love light, lighting, light engineering, power distribution, and technology, to name a few issues we care about here.
This is a short list of things you need to accomplish in my world, you newly found controlling Republicans. Let's see if you can "get along" enough to fix these things:
- Our ever-aging and ridiculously Keystone Cops-esque national power grid
- Stop being patsies to the money from big lighting monopolies. Just stop that now.
- Stop legislating things like INCANDESCENT LAMPS and do something productive to SOLVE the problem, or get someone in who CAN solve the problem. Legislation is a lazy fix to a technological issue.
- Get out of the pocket of Big Oil and Big Coal and start getting solar, wind, geothermal, and tidal power running in our country on more than the pathetically small scale it's in now. If the military were to say "well, we need this new weapon to protect ourselves from whatever it is we're protecting ourselves from," you'd hop on that like flies on poo. WE NEED SUSTAINABLE POWER GENERATION TO PROTECT OURSELVES. GET ON IT.
- Stop encouraging America's ridiculously intelligent people to go work on Wall Street and in Big Government and start giving incentive to get the next generation of Optical Engineers, Laser Scientists, Lighting Designers, and Electrical Engineers, as well as Researchers, Teachers, and general technology leaders working and fixing our problems. Perhaps then we won't be ranked so embarrassingly low in the world's rankings of education and technology.
I'm sure my readership and I can come up with about another thousand list items. Just give me a call, you know my number. America is a place full of opportunity and really smart people. Give us some credit, we're not all stupid like you think we are in the political campaign ads you pay millions of dollars to run.